Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Years Resolutions - Version 2013

Looking back at my resolutions from last year, I think I did a pretty good job of being a more awesome Carolyn. I went skydiving, read good books (Hunger Games anyone??), discovered new music (but also rediscovered some old music I haven't listen to since college and forgot how much I loved), made some good crafty things (my NC State and Spring/Summer wreaths top the list), started my plate wall, went to a place I've never been (both Spruce Pine and 1000 Islands covered this...and I guess technically Birmingham too, but that was for work - I'll eventually make my way to Montreal), definitely had great conversations, and most definitely tried to live my life as a good and positive person (even if it meant chasing down a purse snatcher).

I did change my mind on the whole DC thing, (mostly because I was just trying to figure out what to do with my life and it seemed like an easy escape) and instead decided to do something much better, which was start taking nonprofit management classes at NC State. And unfortunately I never got around to baking something really fancy, even though I baked a LOT. So all in all, I feel pretty accomplished and happy with what I did in the past year.

While totally overrated because most people don't actually stick to them and are never very serious about them past January, I do find resolutions a fun thing to think about because you have a whole year ahead of you that you don't know what's going to happen, and you can take steps to make sure it's going to be a good one and its a good way to improve upon your life (as long as you stick with them). This past year I definitely had kept my resolutions in mind, and putting them out there helped keep me accountable to them and reminded me what they were. Ha. And I think I did a pretty good job of sticking with them!

So what about 2013? I have a lot of fun things going on this year, especially the first half:
  • FINISHING MY INVISALIGN! 2nd day of the year. It'll be amazing.
  • One of my best friend's, Nichole's, wedding and all the surrounding events
  • NC State basketball games (gotta get my student fees worth)
  • Turning 27. Odd age. So we'll see how fun that really is. Ha.
  • Getting a new niece or nephew!!
  • Zombie Mud Run
  • Heading to London for a study abroad reunion, and Barcelona for a few days afterwards with one of my best friends
  • NC State football. We have a new coach. Let's see how this goes.
  • Taking more classes! (HR for Nonprofits in the Spring, not sure about the Fall semester yet)
This year, I'm not sure what kind of resolutions to do. I'm probably just going to continue with the overall "Be Awesome" idea:

  • It sounds uber cliche, but less so when you factor in that I've already been in a workout routine, but I'm definitely needing to start running more to get ready for the Zombie Mud Run and then my half marathon in early 2014. I'm a terrible runner, so the more practice I get in, the better. I'll keep up my kickboxing and yoga because I think that'll help too. However, I keep debating about whether or not I should avoid my gym in January and wait for the crowds to die down in the classes I go to.
  • This is also going to sound cliche, but I need to start cooking more and cooking healthier. I find myself getting lazy and making pasta most nights, especially since I'm cooking for one, and all this holiday sugar has made me crave green beans and broccoli. If I can just plan my meals out every couple weeks and maybe even make some in advance depending on what they are, I'll be better off. And I'm going to use my Crock-Pot way more.
  • I think I'll try to get around to that fancy baking thing this year. I really want to try making croissants. I have a recipe, I just gotta make it! And I really want to start making my own apple butter. That's an easy resolution to float over from the previous year. And same thing with the read good books, listen to good music, have good conversation, live as a good and happy person. If it's more of just continuing good life ideas, does that continue to make them resolutions?
  • One new thing I'd like to try to start is writing at least one letter a week (or month...we'll see how well I can stick with this). It's kind of a "lost art" these days with email, facebook, and text messages, plus I love getting real mail and I assume others do too. And it would give me an excuse to buy fun and pretty cards and stationary!
  • Do something "extreme". Last year it was skydiving. This year? Who knows. Hot air balloon ride? Ziplining? If Special Olympics does their "Over the Edge" fundraiser again where you rappel down a building downtown, that is high on my list. Who knows, I'm not exactly sure what else is out there to try. But it would be fun to do something that gets the heart racing. I'm not counting the Zombie Mud Run in this though.
  • Volunteer more. Since I've decided I want to go into volunteer management, I've been kind of "studying" the different experiences I've been having volunteering, and thinking about the things I've learned in class. That's both a good and bad thing, but it can make them more thought provoking for me. My trouble is finding a consistent volunteering opportunity, so I kind of go where I can. Hopefully something will come along at some point where I can volunteer consistently with an organization.
  • Lastly, I plan to study hard, work hard, and play hard! 
I think that's good for 2013! I'm looking forward to finding out what's ahead in the new year :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!



No comments:

Post a Comment