Saturday, November 26, 2011

Gingerbread Mini-Donuts

Cupcakes have been the trend for quite awhile now, but now it looks like donuts are becoming the new popular food. I've been seeing recipes for donuts and mini-donuts everywhere, and now baking pans are popping up everywhere and being bought. So of course, being sooo on top of trends, I bought some pans and decided to make some donuts!

I found this awesome baked gingerbread mini donut recipe, and seeing as how it's Thanksgiving weekend, I knew it was the perfect flavor for this time of year.


You start by mixing all the dry ingredients together. Now, I doubled the recipe to make a little more, so I'll tell you the normal recipe. Combine one cup flour, 3/4 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ginger, a pinch of all spice, a pinch of cloves, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 cup brown sugar.
Once that's all combined, you mix together the wet ingredients: 1/4 cup applesauce, 2 tbsp maple syrup, 1 egg, 1 tbsp milk, and 2 tbsp melted butter (like I said, I doubled the recipe, hence why there's two eggs in the picture).

After adding the wet ingredients into the dry, I put it into a plastic bag to pipe into the pan. 

I may have cut the hole too big because it was pretty difficult to pipe it in well. But it worked well enough!
I baked each batch about 8 minutes at 350 degrees.

Then once the donuts are done, you need to make the frosting/glaze!

Start by melting 2 tablespoons butter with 1/4 cup brown sugar over medium heat.
Once it's all melted, let the mixture boil for a couple minutes, and then add 1 tablespoon milk. After that's mixed in, add 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and another tbsp of milk.
Once everything is mixed well, reduce it to low heat, and let it simmer while you dunk!


Oh man, they were SO delicious. Absolutely perfect with a mug of pumpkin spice coffee. The gingerbread flavor wasn't too strong, it was just right. They also made my apartment smell like gingerbread! Since the donuts are baked and not fried, they have that perfect cakey texture. I'm definitely excited to make more donuts in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment