Monday, December 12, 2011

Votive Holders

So for one of my best friends' birthdays, I decided I wanted to be crafty and make her something! One thing I've seen on Pinterest was someone used a hot glue gun to write words on a bottle and then spray painted it. I thought this was a really cool idea, so I decided to put my own little spin on it.

I bought three small votives (odd numbers are always more pleasing for displaying things), some puffy paint, and metallic gold spray paint (gold is her favorite color!). This overall project will cost about $10...more or less depending on the size of candle holders you get.

My new favorite phrase (and one I will be living my life on as I find my new path) is "Live. Laugh. Love." Three of the most important things you can do in life. So I decided that would be a great thing to put on the votives! I printed out "Live" and "Love" in Fine Serif and "Laugh" in Vivaldi (both fonts can be found on dafont.com), and then taped each word into a votive.


I then took the puffy paint and traced the letters. Unfortunately, my hand is a little shaky, so it wasn't perfectly smooth.


Once the words are dry, you'll want to take the votives outside and lay them on newspaper. You can decide what you think is the best way to spray paint them. Some people might stuff them with newspaper and leave them sitting on their bottom, but I chose to put them upside down on the newspaper so I could cover the bottoms.

It takes about 2 hours for the spray paint to dry, but I left them outside for a few hours just to make sure they were 100% dry. And once they were, I had custom votive holders!

I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out, even though the letters are a little shaky looking. I hope once she puts candles in them, they create a really nice glow.

Happy (Early) Birthday Caroline!

2 comments:

  1. These turned out awesome! I remember seeing the bottles on pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them so much! Thank you Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete