Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas Crafting: Fabric Block Puzzle

Awhile ago on Pinterest, I pinned this really cool fabric block puzzle that I thought would be a great present for my nephew and/or niece. So when Christmas came around, I decided to make them!

Here was my inspiration: http://www.craftinessisnotoptional.com/2011/05/fabric-puzzle-blocks-tutorial.html
Hers look amazing, especially compared to mine, but I'm hoping the love I put into making these blocks shines through to them...and if not, I'll just remind myself that they're too young to really notice their gift isn't as pretty as it could be. I'm sure they'll love playing with them either way!

I got sixteen 2x2inch blocks (you can find them at AC Moore, online, or go get them cut at a hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot), and luckily I already had Mod Podge, a sponge brush, ruler, and I borrowed a fabric rotary cutter from one of my friends. I then headed to JoAnn's to pick out my fabric. This was an intense task because I was trying to find patterns that were mostly gender-neutral since I was making one puzzle for both of them, and I was trying to find patterns that weren't too nursery-looking. Those were some of the cutest ones of course, but not what I was looking for! I eventually found six good patterns, and had them cut about a foot off of each fabric, because that gave me some room for error (and I needed it!)



You start by cutting your fabric into an 8x8 inch square using your rotary cutter, a ruler, and a hard surface. Now make sure when you're cutting it up, you make sure to piece the "puzzle" back together so that you know exactly where to put the pieces on the blocks! If you mess this up, you're puzzle will definitely not be square, and definitely might not ever be put together.

Once you have your squares cut, make sure you have your blocks lined up in the square. Then, you just spread a thin layer of Mod Podge onto one side of a block and place the corresponding piece of fabric onto the block.

I highly suggest doing all of these steps for each fabric all together, and then go and do them for the next fabric. This will allow time for the Mod Podge to dry, and also will prevent you from losing pieces of fabric or things getting out of order.

Here are all the sides of my blocks!







There are a few strings, and some pieces hanging over edges, partly because I am terrible with a rotary cutter, and the blocks aren't all perfectly 2x2. But all in all, I think it's a cute present and I'm pretty pleased with it. I hope my niece and nephew have a lot of fun putting together the puzzles!

No comments:

Post a Comment